With less than an hour before the draft started, Tewksbury Huskies’ GM Dave O’Grady was burning through the minutes on his Verizon plan. The Huskies were coming off back to back Championships, so insiders were curious to what moves he was trying to make. Was a third championship in the works? After a cigarette and a handshake, O’Grady and Chiefs GM JonG agreed to swap Justin Martin and Mullen, straight up, landing Mullen on his second franchise of the evening. Did O’Grady just make a trade for a player he could have just kept? What is he doing? A lot of rolling eyes….
No more than 15 minutes later, O’Grady was seen approaching the commissioner with Wizards’ GM Mike Thompson (formerly Chelmsford Cougars) by his side. O’Grady and Thompson end up swapping former Husky champions Daryl Wolfenden and Matt Mullen. Yes, that’s right, Mullen landed on team #3 of the evening, and the draft hasn’t even started yet. So much chaos…..
And the draft begins…..
1. No surprise here, “blow for bro”, the Weemen take the reigning back to back MVP and champion, Devin Amidon. Colin is the happiest older brother.
2. After weeks of trolling, the Bassholes made the right choice, and took the Magic Man, Scott Martell. With a base of Megow and GG, will Martell make it to his 4th straight finals?
3. Blah blah blah... O’Keefe to the Sasquatch…blah blah blah
4. Jason Murphy made the decision here to load up and make the Grenade Division a battle of brothers. Murphy reunited with his brother Michael Philbin and look to cause headaches for the brothers Amidon.
5. The Chiefs take a potential gamble here with an unkown Tom Anderson. Tom comes into the league with rave reviews (from his cousin), but look to make the Chiefs a playoff contender once again.
6. WeeMen take Dave Sullivan, and become the favorites immediately. Pitching, power, fielding….this team has it all.
7. HUGE…HUGE move by the Sasquatch. All the NEAWL experts had the Nashoba Valley boys bringing back fan favorite Jeremy Ellis, but they didn’t. The ‘Squatch take Tadd LeRoque. Not only does this addition bolster their already crazy lineup, but also prevents their division rivals from acquiring Bessy's best friend.
8. After stuffing his face with a hot cheese pizza, Timmy Megow decided to take a gamble on ROY nominee Mike Nagle. If Nagle can continue what he started in winter, the Bassholes will be a tough matchup.
9. With one of the league’s finest pitchers already locked up, it was unknown whether the White Chickens would try to add some depth behind him, or if they would look to boost their offense. GM Mike Houle decided a strong bat was most important, and took Brother Gulu. Another player with a great rookie season, but is it enough to battle the Weemen/Bullies?
10. Having already traded for former Husky, Daryl Wolfenstein 3-D, what was O’Grady’s next move? The Huskies’ GM decided to add one of the league’s greatest clubhouse personalities, and sneaky clutch bats, Kevin “KMAC” MacDonald. KMAC, Young Wolf, and OG can all mash, but who’s gonna pitch? Shaping up to be an interesting season for the defending champs.
As soon as the Huskies’ pick was in, and the Pollos were on the clock, Mike Houle could be seen whispering in the ears of a few GM’s. Houle has been known to work some crazy deals, but things were looking grim as the clock was winding down. With 10 seconds left to pick, the Pollos were granted an extension, and 30 seconds later, a pick was made…..Matthew Mullen. Welcome to your fourth team of the evening!
11. The LPB’s and Wizards (former Chelmsford Cougars) agreed to swap winter picks, and the Chickens sent this pick to the Wizards for Matthew Mullen. Wizards add Jeremy Ellis.
12. With a base of Muprh/Philbin/Willette, the Bullies could do no wrong with this pick. Chris Surette gets picked up here, and the Bullies look to be ramping up for another playoff run.
13. Chiefs add Chris Smith back to the Mill City Lineup. A lot of home comings this season for these boys. After having to deal with the loss of ace Dave Fisher, JonG has comprised a team that will for sure be playing in the post season.
14. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Coop to the Wizards.
15. Tim Anderson gets taken by the team that he changed their name for him. Wizrards doing wizard things.
16. Huskies add Tony “mr. handsome” Polizzotti. Funest and handsomest lineup in the league.
There you have it, the 2016 NEAWL Summer draft. This may go down as one of, if not THE, most exciting drafts in NEAWL history. Gear up boys, we play in 2 weeks!
Written by Dave O'Grady
NEAWL Associate Staff